OFFICIAL GAME PROGRAM
DECEMBER 28, 2018
A s President/CEO of the nonprofi t San Antonio Bowl
Association, Derrick Fox is responsible for the overall
administration and day-to-day operations of the Valero
Alamo Bowl and its Community Festival of Events.
• Contributing nearly $118 million to higher education through team payouts and
• Developing the bowl and its Community Festival of Events into an annual event with an
average total annual economic impact of $40 million to the San Antonio economy.
• Drawing more than 1.55 million spectators to attend the bowl game since inception generating
a total economic impact in excess of $900 million.
• Raising the bowl’s profi le from 18th out of 18 bowls the fi rst year to its current place as the
No. 1 bowl outside the College Football Playoffs thanks to four straight Top 15 match-ups.
• Negotiating every title, television and conference partnership in bowl history including the
current Big 12 and Pac-12 deals that makes the Valero Alamo Bowl the No. 1 bowl outside
of the CFP through 2025.
• Reaching a 10-year extension with ESPN to continue its broadcasting rights to the game
across ESPN’s platforms through 2025.
• Successfully securing and hosting such neutral site games such as the 2006 Texas A&M
versus Army game, three Big 12 Championship games in San Antonio and the 2009 and
2016 Notre Dame Shamrock Series.
• Producing Valero Alamo Bowls that have been one of the Top three highest rated non-BCS/CFP
bowl games on ESPN in 19 out of the bowl’s 25 years delivering over 136 million ESPN viewers:
• 7,829,470 – Valero Alamo Bowl, Jan. 2, 2010 (Michigan State vs. Texas Tech)
• 7,791,097 – Alamo Bowl, Dec. 30, 2006 (Texas vs. Iowa)
• 7,547,399 – Valero Alamo Bowl, Dec. 30, 2013 (Oregon vs. Texas)
• Selling out four of the past seven Valero Alamo Bowls and averaging 95 percent capacity
the last eight years making the Valero Alamo Bowl No. 2 of all non-CFP bowl games.
A graduate of Duke University, Derrick Fox came to San Antonio in August 1992 after seven
years with the Fiesta Bowl. He began his Fiesta Bowl career as an intern in 1986 and held the
title of Director of Marketing his last three years.
A native of Port Angeles, Wash., Derrick is married to Alison Fox. They have two sons – Drew
(24) and Jake (22).
2018 Valero Alamo
2018 VALERO ALAMO BOWL STAFF
Vice President of Operations
Vice President of Marketing
Vice President of Ticket Sales
Senior Manager, Events
Director of Executive Services
Business Development Coordinator
Events and Operations Coordinator
Sales & Marketing Coordinator
Digital Media Coordinator