DEVOUR THE COMPETITION
2019 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES GAMEDAY MAGAZINE 15
Chef Tim Lopez is the first cook for FLIK Hospitality and the
host of the Feeding the Birds podcast, an Official Eagles
WAS H I N G TON R E D S K I N S –
CHICKEN WITH MUMBO SAUCE
Devour the Competition is an initiative created by the Flik Hospitality staff to help
the players prepare for the game through delicious food. The chefs prepare a meal
during the week of the game that is inspired by the Eagles’ opponent. As the Eagles
host Washington today for the first game of the season, they will enjoy chicken with
mumbo sauce served with a side of french fries. Mumbo sauce was developed in
Washington, D.C. and popularized in the city’s takeout restaurants. The red-orange
sauce is similar to a barbecue or plum sauce, but is also sweet and tangy. It is known
for being put on fried chicken wings, french fries, fried jumbo shrimp, and fried rice.
4 pounds chicken wings
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated onion
1/4 cup granulated garlic
6-ounce can tomato paste
2/3 cup ketchup
2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Straight-cut french fries
1. Rinse and dry chicken wings and toss with a mixture of salt, pepper,
granulated onion, and granulated garlic.
2. Let seasoned wings marinate for 4 hours up to overnight.
1. Place tomato paste, ketchup, and sugar in a saucepan. Pour in
pineapple juice, white vinegar, lemon juice, and honey into the pan.
2. Add soy sauce, grated ginger, and cayenne pepper.
3. Whisk together thoroughly. Place pan over medium-high heat.
4. As soon as the mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to medium-low
and simmer, whisking occasionally, until mixture has thickened slightly,
about 10 minutes.
5. Remove pan from heat, allow to cool about 10 minutes or so.
6. Pour sauce through a fine strainer to eliminate solids. Keep sauce hot.
1. Heat deep fryer to 350 F. Bake chicken wings at 325 F for 45 minutes to
render off fat.
2. Slightly cool and then place in the deep fryer in batches until chicken
reaches an internal temperature of 165 F and wings are crispy.
3. Toss wings in mumbo sauce and serve aside french fries.