Barriers to Proper Care
There are a number of researched obstacles that may prevent people with intellectual
disabilities from achieving their best health. These may include:
• Decreased physical activity (due to physical limitations or otherwise)
• Lack of healthy nutrition options
• Limited access to health education and exercise opportunities
• Use of medication that impacts weight and appetite
• Limited access to regular health screenings, checkups and exams
In addition, many health issues of people with intellectual disabilities remain hidden
or are misdiagnosed due to healthcare providers not knowing how to properly
understand and/or diagnose them. Prominent medical issues may be overlooked
because a doctor attributes it to the intellectual disability.
Special Olympics Northern California is dedicated to supporting individuals with
intellectual disabilities to perform at their best, both within and outside sports.
70 Special Olympics Northern California